![]() |
| Look Mom, no ET tube!!! |
That's right - Christian is off of the ventilator! As you can see they replaced the tube/ventilator with a high frequency nose cannula which is giving him oxygen and nitric oxide support. This is a huge step for us, but like most big steps it's also very scary. This is not necessarily permanent...if he struggles w/o the ventilator he could have to be reintubated and be put back on. However, it's right now pushing 24 hours since he was extabated and the doctor said he is now convinced it will stick so that's certainly encouraging! He had a great night and so far he's not shown major changes from where he was with ventilator support.
I felt like he was born yesterday. I was wearing a hosptial gown as we had our first Kangaroo Care (skin to skin contact) and there was a steady flow of "visitors". Our visitors were nurses and staff that came to see Christian's tube-less face! Nurses that have not worked in our room came by to see him and hug me. It's an exciting step for ALL of us. His successes are his family's successes are his care takers successes (who are his family too). As I always say.....we are so fortunate to have this medical team who cares for him and all of us at the same time.
I felt like he was born yesterday. I was wearing a hosptial gown as we had our first Kangaroo Care (skin to skin contact) and there was a steady flow of "visitors". Our visitors were nurses and staff that came to see Christian's tube-less face! Nurses that have not worked in our room came by to see him and hug me. It's an exciting step for ALL of us. His successes are his family's successes are his care takers successes (who are his family too). As I always say.....we are so fortunate to have this medical team who cares for him and all of us at the same time.
They have increased his food again, removed the ventilator and continue to wean his meds -all indicators that he is feeling better and stronger. His lung looks bigger on xray but again that doens't necessarily mean that it will all be working tissue. His breathing is a little fast still so we want that to slow down before trying to bottle feed or nurse. He and I are working on the pacifier as to help with his sucking. Since he was unable to use this natural reflex right away we need some practice to get it mastered. He's even started wearing clothes (I told him that at a month old he needs to be a little more modest).
Owen was able to visit this weekend and was sad to leave mom. He's having a tough week wanting his mommy, This is one of the worst parts of all of this.....feeling guilty and sad no matter where I am.....because I'm always away from one of them. He's been such a trooper for these 6 weeks and I'm so proud of what a little man he is sometimes. He accepts that mommy is gone with Christian because he is sick and that is enough for him. He knows his brother needs mommy......but O needs mommy too. I'll ask you again to say a special prayer for Owie.
I don't foresee any other big changes this week. We'll hope that he continues to succeed off of the ventilator while continuing to eat well and tolerate his weans.
Aubrey


I love these pictures. He is so amazingly adorable. Lots of continued prayers for all of you. Seems each week Christian keeps suprising us with huge progress but it's really not too suprising since it's the answer to a lot of prayers and, let's face it, he's a super hero!
ReplyDeleteYay! Praise God for answering prayers! Christian is definitely a trooper, and he's such a beautiful baby! How exciting for all of you, and way to go, Big Brother, for sharing Mommy all these weeks. Praying moment-by-moment strength with joy found in those moments as you all get more acquainted as a family and Christian continues to grow!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! God is so good. Keep your spirits up. Your prayers are being answered. Beautiful pictures.
ReplyDeletePraise God! Miracle after miracle! Christian is soooo beautiful! You all continue in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs to you all.
ReplyDeleteOh Aub, Christian is so precious!Love the pictures! As always, you and ALL your boys are in my thoughts & prayers! Sending lots of love!! Beth
ReplyDeleteAubrey, again, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful news and adorable photos! These are my favorite! Wow does he look like his big brother! What a sweet little guy! We are really working to find a time to get back to visit you! So happy for you to have such good news to share! I keep asking "my boss" for more good news from you each day! HE is definitely watching over Christian and his family! Lots of love from the Menzes!
ReplyDeleteyay! So happy for these big steps Christian is taking! Thinking of you guys lots :-)
ReplyDelete